Defensive Driving Information
If you would like to request defensive driving please do not pay your fine ahead of time. Please follow the instructions as presented below.
DEFENSIVE DRIVING INSTRUCTIONS
I hereby enter my appearance on the complaint of the offense charged (in person) (by counsel) (by certified mail). I understand that I have a right to a jury trial. I hereby waive my right to a jury trial, plead (guilty) (no contest) and elect under ART. 45.0511, CCP, to take a driving safety course.
In requesting to take the defensive driving course I understand that I must present to the court the following five items so that it can be approved by the Judge before taking the defensive driving class:
- A copy of a valid Texas driver’s license or permit;
- Copy of proof of financial responsibility pursuant A to Chapter 602, Transportation Code (automobile liability insurance);
- Payment of court cost $99.10; and a payment of $10.00 non-refundable processing fee (by cashier’s check or money order only);
- A letter to the court requesting defensive driving and:
- The citation with a plea of guilty or nolo contendre marked on the back of the citation.
You must have the five items listed above postmarked by the date in the lower right hand section of the citation. If it is postmarked after that date, defensive driving is not an option.
Once the Judge approves you to take the defensive driving class, instructions will be mailed to you to take the defensive driving class, obtaining your driving record from DPS and affidavit that will have to be notarized.
IF YOU HAVE A COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE OR HAVE TAKEN DEFENSIVE DRIVING WITHIN THE PAST YEAR FROM THE DATE OF THIS VIOLATION YOU WILL NOT BE QUALIFIED TO TAKE DEFENSIVE DRIVING.
I understand that I must:
1) Complete a driving safety course or motorcycle operator training course as applicable within 90 days of approval from the judge;
2) Submit by the 90th day from the date of approval of the Judge a uniform certificate of course completion (with Grandview Municipal Court listed under what the course is taken for) of a driving safety course or a verification of course completion of a motorcycle operator course as evidence that I have completed such a course;
3) Submit by the 90th day from the date of approval of the Judge an affidavit that I was not taking such a course nor that I completed one within the preceding 12 months from the date of my current offense that is not shown on my driving record as maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety (or if I am on active military duty that I have not taken a course in the state where I obtained my driver’s license in the preceding 12 months nor an taking such a course at the time of this request); and
4) Submit by the 90th day from the date of the approval by the Judge a certified copy of my driving record as maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
I understand that:
1) If I comply with the court order granting the taking of driving safety / motorcycle operator course and submit all the required evidence as ordered that the court will dismiss my case and report to the Texas Department of Public Safety that date that I completed my course for inclusion on my driving record;
2) Failure to submit all the evidence required by the court, that I will be notified of a show cause hearing and be required to appear before the court to show cause why I did not present the required evidence of course completion;
3) The Judge may at the show cause hearing enter a final adjudication against me and require me to pay the fine; and
4) The failure to appear at the show cause hearing will result in a final adjudication being entered against me and that I will be required to pay the fine and any additional costs required by the court.
APPLICATION FOR DRIVER SAFETY COURSE